Saturday, June 9, 2007

See... We're Not Always Happy!

One of the things that annoys me more than any other steryotype about Down syndrome is the comment... "they're always happy." I don't know who came up with that idea, and I know any parent of a child with ds would agree, but they are far from happy all the time. C is such an expressive and dramatic girl. I love that about her. She is 2 1/2 and has full blown temper tantrums and believe me, she is NOT happy when it is happening. Wanna know what makes her even madder during a tantrum? When mean old mommy gets out her camera to have documented proof. PEOPLE WITH DOWN SYNDROME ARE NOT HAPPY ALL THE TIME!

Here is my proof. (don't mind the red tongue, she was eating strawberry fluff before the drama began)


2 comments:

Jessica said...

I can understand why that would drive anyone crazy. She's still 2 1/2 and she's still a child. Why on earth would anyone think that she can't have a temper tantrum to.
People think the opposite of autism. They think that they always are in bad moods and a meltdown is just one step away, but that's not true either. There are some days that go so smoothly that it knocks me back.
Temper tantrums are a part of any childs life, no matter who they are or how different they are.

Misty said...

You're so good. I keep meaning to get a pic of AM having a meltdown. Many people don't believe it of her, since she saves them just for me and her Daddy. But she's a 2 year old like any other. Is it wrong that C still looks so darn cute even having a temper fit? Mostly b/c I can't hear it. ;) It's the sound that is so irritating to me....