Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Suffering?

This is the link to what was a terrible story. The bombing in and of itself is terrible. The thought that they used unsuspecting women with Down syndrome makes it worse. Now they are saying the women didn't have Down syndrome and yes, it's no less tragic still.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080220/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_bombers

My reason for linking to this story is because is because of a comment made that just makes me crazy. Here is the statement...

A U.S. military spokesman for the Baghdad area, Lt. Col. Steve Stover, also said at the time that medical experts with his division had examined the photos and agreed the women probably suffered from the genetic disorder.

What's wrong with that you might say. Whats wrong is the word SUFFERED. I get so tired of hearing that so and so suffers from Down syndrome. My daughter does not suffer. She is far from it.

Today she played happily with her cousins for hours. They pulled out every possible toy they could. She woke from her nap with a huge smile and gave me a big hug when I picked her up. Tonight she was going to Trader Joes with her daddy. She walked excitedly out the door in the purple socks, red glitter Dorothy shoes and pink and tan leopard fur coat... a get up, I mean outfit, that she picked out herself. (yes, she did have on other clothes)

She does have moments of suffering. When she wants one more Swedish fish and she can't have it. When she has to go to bed. When she has to give up a little bit of my attention to the baby... to a 3 year old, those are all things that are suffering. Trust me, that is the extent of her "suffering".

People with Down syndrome do not suffer from Down syndrome, they just happen to have it.
Does she look like she is suffering?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Your family is such a blessing! Thank you for sharing that. You have a wonderful way with words and no, she does not look to be suffering at all! She looks like an adorable 3 year old that at times is a rascal =) You can see it in her eyes! LOL!

Jessica said...

I can't stand when people say "I'm sorry" when I tell them Wes has autism. There is no reason for I'm sorry and there is absolutely no reason for saying that children with disabilities are suffering. It doesn't bother them one bit and they are who they are because God created diversity. That includes people with extrodinary abilities.

sweetpeas said...

Oh boy this hit my heart heavy. You are a master with words!

And "No" C does not look to be suffering at all! :)