Friday, April 27, 2007

She will not go unnoticed!

I know my mother taught us not to stare. Personally I don't think it's as offensive as mom made it out to be but tonight was different.

I have had many occasion where I have caught people staring at C. Most of the time I can see it's a good stare. Sometimes I am not even sure they realize she has Down syndrome. Tonight the ones we were getting seemed different and it made me wonder.

We were at dinner. Everytime I looked up at a woman having dinner with her family I would fine her staring at Cbut never in the way I am used to. It was a stare of almost anger or the look of not accepting us being a regular family eating dinner in a regular restaurant with a regular 2 year old.

I often wonder, did this person terminate a pregnancy with a child with Down syndrome? I know women who have had that happen and the starer says how they look at their child with sadness. That the information they were given was of a life nothing like what they were viewing. They were sad because of what they had lost due to not knowing and bad information.

Did this person have a sibling that had Down syndrome 25 years ago when the life expectancy was a mere 25 years old? Did they have a brother or sister that died at a young age and they see C as the future of Down syndrome. The future their brother or sister helped pave the way towards.

Is it curiosity? Do they see her and think how wrong the image of Down syndrome is.

I don't know, but in this case, I am a bit puzzled by nothing more then the fact that I have yet to see a single staring person not have to smile when C waves bye bye. This woman did not and I felt so very sad for her. Whatever her reason for her anger and sadness, she missed out on Cblowing a kiss when she chose to not acknowledge her. My girl refused to go unnoticed!

No comments: